History

Remembering the past…

History should have a mission—memory gives hope. God calls you back to where you are and Whose you are!

1871

Pastor Hedengren held service at Peter Weinhardt home at East Lake–agreed to establish a church. There were 61 communicants and 50 children as charter members.

1872

Organizational meeting of “Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Bethesda Congregation in Osceola Township, Polk Co., Wis”. Elected to join Taylors Falls and chose their Pastor, C. A. Cederstam–salary $100. per year. Five acres purchased from Isaac Mclean for $40. Each member to donate $1.50 and others according to their needs. A temporary log church 26’x36’x11’ high built. Membership dues $3.00 per man and $1.00 per woman and underage communicants.

1875

Several members signed a petition requesting 1/4 of Pastor’s time on Sand Lake. J. W. Peterson offered 2 acres on the south shore of Sand Lake and the Sand Lakers would move the church free of charge.

1876

Church moved from East Lake–dismantled and reassembled in 3 weeks at Sand Lake. Agreed with Taylors Falls and Balsam to call a pastor jointly, each receiving 1/3 of his time. Parsonage at Taylors Falls.

1879

Staked out the cemetery. Built horse barn 12’x14’x10’. Cost $26.27.

1880

Built own parsonage, bought 3 acres west of church from John Undland for $15.per acre–house was 22’x32’. First floor completed—cost $981.76. Moved in on July 1, 1881.

Bethesda and East Lake 1891

1881

Bethesda Women’s Society organized.

1883

Began subscriptions for new church, by August had $1948. Taylors Falls withdrew from the parish.

1885

During winter men cut and sawed 12,972’ of oak and ash for new church. Church to be 36’x56’ without steeple and sacristy. Cost to be $3,000. 1887 Church auditorium built and faced with brick in 1888-1891.

1889

Bell purchased by Ladies Aid-$300. Inscribed “They That Heareth Say Come”Rev.22:17.

1890

Purchased a wool figured axminister rug for church-Cost $41.

1894

Balsam severed it’s parish connection.

1896

Added to parsonage 18’x26’. Cost $600. Young People’s Society organized. Bethesda bought 40 acres south of church for $850.

1897

Made plans for park and planting trees-done in spring of 1898.

1898

Young People’s Society raised $1,000. for a new pipe organ, it was dedicated July 17, 1898 with a great concert.

1900

Young People’s Society redecorated church and bought two candelabra. Donations of a pulpit and altar table received. Chapel at Lamar built.

1906

Pavilion built by Ladies Aid-cost $344.63.

1907

Decided to build new parsonage-cost $4,864.79

Bethesda, 1897

1908

Annual meeting Pastor commissioned to conduct one Sunday afternoon worship service a month in English. Willing Workers (Young Ladies Society) organized.

1909

Chapel at Lamar members decided to form their own congregation which became Fristad in Centuria.

1910

Membership now 425 communicant members.

1914

Sunday School started in Dresser. Bethany church organized with 22 members and 12 children transferring there from Bethesda.

1916

Young People’s Society built concrete stand in park—cost $344.72.

1917

Fristad decided to leave parish–called their own pastor in 1918.

1920

Mission Society organized. Envelope system of giving introduced rather than dues.

1921

Decorated the church and remodeled steeple for 50th Anniversary. Cost for decorating $1,463 and tower was $3,817. Statue given by Ladies Aid and Young Ladies-cost $264. Membership now 330 communicants and 121 children. 1922 Celebrated 50th Anniversary. History book Minnesskrift published.

1925

Bethany of Dresser asked to join with Bethesda for a 2 point parish. Services now conducted twice a month in English and Sunday School in English. Summer Bible School each year for six weeks–all day.

1928

Excavation to enlarge church basement. Horse barns sold and area made into parking lot.

1929

A gold leaf cross placed on church steeple 1930 A new gray carpet laid in church over the old rug. Cost $505.

1941

First Smorgasbord held.

1946

A meeting at Fristad for all Lutherans in Polk Co. to discuss establishment of a Bible Camp, leads eventually to Luther Point.

Sanctuary, 1897

1947

75th Anniversary observed on Sept 28th and Oct 5th.

1952

Spire lights installed, $191. An addition added for kitchen, completed and dedicated.

1961

Julotta (5:30 AM Christmas service) changed to Christmas Eve at 11:00 PM. The new red Hymnals purchased, reshingle the sanctuary and repainted the parsonage.

1962

Augustana Lutheran Church became a part of the Lutheran Church in America.

1963

Ladies Aid disbands and becomes Lutheran Church Women. Discontinued use of the white linen over the altar rail.Church Library established. 212 confirmed members at this time.

1964

Adopted a new constitution. New church windows installed, cost $2,071. Congregation voted to put The Lutheran in every member’s home.

1966

Voted to sell parsonage and 380’ of lakeshore and build parsonage east of the church. Voted to build a new entry on church not to exceed $8,000. with new steps to the basement. Church painted at cost of $1,274.08. Worship service begun for skiers. Synod again begun discussion of merger of St. Peter’s and Bethany as they had previously. Bethesda voted not to break with Bethany so it ended.

1967

Voted down Bethany’s request to have the parsonage in Dresser. Voted to accept offer of $19,000. for the parsonage and lakeshore 1968 Installed glass block windows in basement and new lights on the steeple. The monthly newsletter (The Caller) came into being. Cost of the new parsonage was $20,240. and the entry $10,830.

1971

New red carpeting installed—cost $1,370. The best part of the old axminister rug installed in the balcony. Automatic bell ringer installed—cost $2,035. LCW purchased and installed new electric ovens and stove tops–cost $770.31. Nine dozen place settings of dinnerware purchased for $756.

1972

Celebrated the Centennial with Swedish service April 23 and speakers, programs, and dinners on June 24 and 25. Purchased Grand piano-cost $2,438.20. 1973 Installed carpet in basement. Another 1,000 cookbooks ordered—7,000 to date.

1977

Eternal light and Christian and American flag added to sanctuary Bethany and St. Peter’s expressed a desire to merge so we discontinued our alignment with Bethany and now we have our own Pastor again. Began a three year confirmation program.

1978

Purchased new green LBW Hymnals. Annual meeting changed to Sunday afternoon. 1981 Bethesda Educational Fund established. Individual communion glasses an option. Built Linda White room, new bathrooms and remodeled kitchen.

1982

Celebrated 110th anniversary with worship, speakers, program and fellowship dinner. Cleaned caulked, painted and tuck pointed exterior of church and replaced eaves—cost $7,290.

1987

We are now the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and a part of the Apple River Conference, which is part of the Northwest Synod.

1992

Youth member added to Council. Celebrated our 120th with Bishop Gerhart Knutson.

1994

Mission statement adopted. Youth to Atlanta for Youth Gathering. Steeple repaired—$16,000. Windows in basement and narthex replaced-$2,400.

1995

Contemporary Worship Service begun. 1996 Sanctuary interior painted and plaster repaired-cost $5,568. Floors sanded and varnished—$800.

1999

New addition built, complete with Chapel, offices, nursery, and elevator.

2002

Constructed a playground.

2003

Youth Mission Trip to Mexico, San Antonio Sahcabchen.

2004

Memorial stained glass windows installed in the sanctuary. Vote to leave ELCA and join LCMC